The World has become a small globe now and culturally diverse workplace has become a common scenario across all the countries. Specially UAE being a hub of business conglomerates, is primarily a mix of many different nationalities – diverse in many ways. So it becomes very essential for a HR professional to understand how to manage diversity and create a balance and harmony at workplace.
So let’s first understand what is Cultural Diversity ???????
Is it only……….
Mix of people with different social backgrounds, any differences between 2 different individuals, Difference of gender, race, culture, ethnicity, education, age, national origin etc.
As Dr. Roosevelt Thomas mentions, “Diversity is the state of being different. The mosaic of people who bring a variety of backgrounds, styles, values and beliefs as assets to the organization with which they interact.”
So now that we understand entire aspect of “Cultural Diversity, it is also essential to understand – how do we manage cultural diversity.
The Golden Rule is:
· Treat others as you want to be treated
· Value each individual as it creates self-respect, psychological well being and enhanced work performance.
· Acknowledge all the differences – just because you don’t agree…… the person/ values cannot be wrong.
· Develop a common platform of understanding.
· Prevent discrimination and promote inclusiveness.
· Ignoring diversity will cost time, money and efficiency and create unhealthy tensions in the organizations.
In UAE, we see that there are different variable compensation structures across different Emirates, different Nationalities and different Age group and Gender.
So the key issue for HR personnel is how to derive a Compensation Structure which is equally attractive across a diverse organization……
Compensation Structure consists of different components – both Monetary and Non Monetary and they both hold equal importance in motivating and engaging an employee.
While the monetary benefits may include – Salary, Commission, Bonus and other perks like Medical Insurance, Air Ticket, Fuel allowance, Child Education allowance and so on, the Non Monetary benefits may include – factors like Career advancement, Training, Recognition, Organization Goodwill etc.
There can be no standard compensation structure which can apply universally to all regions and all companies. In order to design a competitive and balancing compensation structure for your Organization, the following steps need to be followed :
- Evaluate your Human Capital
- Align the Company strategy with business strategy
- Collect information on best industry practices in the region
- Derive a compensation scheme which applies to both heart and minds of the employee
- Ensure to reward talent, knowledge and experience
- Conduct a periodic review of the compensation structure to analyze if it is the best solution for the Organization
It is imperative for every HR personnel to understand that it is not only money which will help you retail your best performers, but the factors like Employee Engagement, Motivation, Team Spirit, Opportunities, Career growth etc. also play a very important role in retaining your best performers. So even while a compensation structure has to monetarily appeal the employees…. make a sincere effort to make them feel valued and loved and that will be your key to retain your best performers.
An Article by :
Human Resource Manager
Bahman Enterprises Group